Educational records of the
Hillsboro community report that the first educational facility in
Montgomery County was established as the Hillsboro Academy in 1837 in
Hillsboro. In the 1840s, the Academy became the first Lutheran College
in Illinois. Historical reports indicate that “. . . ultimately Illinois
State University and Carthage College evolved from this college . . ."
when the college was moved to Springfield in 1852.
In 1954 this commitment exhibited by leaders from Hillsboro and its
surrounding communities brought about the creation of an outstanding
Community Unit School District, comprised of the following: